As we know Bali is Paradise Island which has many awesome culture and tourist destination. Beside of that, Bali offers much delicious traditional food. Betutu chicken is one of them, but have you ever eaten Balinese spicy sauce which called by Sambel Matah. Before talk about Sambel Matah, you must know what is sambal? Sambal is sauce typically made from a variety of chili peppers and secondary ingredients such as shrimp paste, fish sauce, garlic, ginger, shallot, scallion, sugar, lime juice, and rice vinegar or other vinegars.
Sambal Matah is a famous sambal from the Gods island of Bali. This samabl is very different than other sambal in Indonesia, because this sambel doesn’t cook or raw. There are two versions of Sambal Matah. One is with slices of torch ginger and another one is without it. This sambal matah is perfect for you grilled chicken ( betutu chicken) or fish and Balinese satay. Just like other Indonesians, Balinese loves to use terasi (dried shrimp paste) that is known as sere in the local dialect. There are the ingredients to make Sambal Matah;
• 15 shallots, peeled, cut in half and finely sliced
• 4 cloves garlic, cut in half & sliced
• 15 small sliced chilies
• 5 lemon leaves (daun limau) chopped very fine
• 1 tsp roasted shrimp paste (terasi), finely grated
• 4 stalks lemon grass, bruised and very finely sliced
• 1 tsp salt
• ¼ tsp ground black pepper
• 2 tbsp freshly squeezed limejuice
• 80 ml coconut oil
1. Combine above ingredients in deep bowl and mix well for 5 minutes.
2. If you sauté finished sauce for two minutes over medium heat will enhance the beautiful flavor of this delicate sauce
If you love spicy shallot and lemongrass flavor, you will love this sambal. A perfect combination for Be Pasih Mepanggang and other grilled fish. This sambal the best partner of your lunch or dinner and make unique sensation of your scent mouth. Let’s try this sambal and you will get unforgettable experience.